Date:      Sat, 24 Feb 2007 15:26:20 +0100
From:      Adriaan de Groot <groot@kde.org>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Cc:        Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?q?Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Subject:   Re: 6.2-RELEASE on Sun Fire X2100

On Friday 23 February 2007 13:20, Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav wrote:
> I have a brand new Sun Fire X2100 server (Opteron 148, 2 GB RAM) on
> which I'm trying to install FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE using a USB CD-ROM.
> The CD image is amd64-disc1 from ftp.no.freebsd.org, MD5 checksum OK.
> The server crashes while loading /boot/loader (eip=3D0000288b, IIRC).
>
> Is this a known issue, or should I suspect a problem with the drive or
> the USB BIOS?

There was a long thread on this, probably relevant: the BIOS does an INT10 =
or=20
so at an inappropriate time. That might be relevant:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-amd64/2006-November/009187.html

I had an X2100 two months back, that booted fine -- but from IDE, not USB.=
=20
Bear in mind that the front USB ports on the machine are very different fro=
m=20
the back USB ports. My X4100 only accepts a keyboard in the back.

Also the only USB drive (some cheap USB<->SATA enclosure) I've hooked up to=
=20
the X4100 just failed completely with short reads under 6.2-STABLE.

=2D-=20
KDE Quality Team  http://www.englishbreakfastnetwork.org/
GPG: FEA2 A3FE    http://people.fruitsalad.org/adridg/
    "It is impossible to make an emphatic point with only two arms."