Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 1997 12:50:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Utz <spaz@u.washington.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        proff@suburbia.net, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, terry@lambert.org, sef@kithrup.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: on the subject of changes to -RELEASEs...

On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > The design principals behind /etc are heading in the right direction
> > but seem to lack vision.  Jordon, call me an engineering psychopath,
>
> It's "Jordan" and ok, you're an engineering psychopath. ;-)

yippee for engineering psychopaths!

> > but it is my belief that FreeBSD should attempt to adopt a file-system
> > organisation whereby after the system is installed, write access
> > can be removed completely from the root and /usr because any
> > configuration changes do not require modification of any of these
> > partitions. Upgrades, re-installation and protection against trojans
> > then become trivial.
>
> The problem is that the minute you start removing things from /etc and
> putting them in their more "logical" places, the learning curve for
> existing UNIX admins goes up and this too is "cost."
>
> However, if you were to say that everything in /etc should depend on a
> single writable configuration file, I wouldn't argue with the
> principle (and it's what I had in mind for /etc/sysconfig) but simply
> point to the fact that "everyone" knows about files like
> /etc/resolv.conf too, and if you put "domain=blah.com" and
> "resolver1=foo .. resolvern=bar" lines into /etc/sysconfig and
> made resolv.conf redundant (or removed it) there would be a lot of
> confusion.

	yah, but one could leave these files in /etc and then write into
the comments part of the file that this file is ( or more reasonably,
going to be ) deprecated. One could then leave the files in /etc/ in
perpetuity as simple readmes that point to /etc/sysconfig

	i think the idea has merit, but gets into the "we are BSD, dammit"
argument. i dont have an opinion one way or the other, other than to point
out that some day there will be more linux and *BSD administrators than
"cost money unix" administrators, so this argument about existing
implementation similarity will become moot.

> 					Jordan

 John Utz	spaz@u.washington.edu
	idiocy is the impulse function in the convolution of life