Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 1996 06:29:43 -0500
From:      Alex Nash <alex@fa.tdktca.com>
To:        bmk@fta.com
Cc:        "Eloy A. Paris" <Eloy.Paris@ven.ra.rockwell.com>, questions@FreeBSD.org, hardware@FreeBSD.org, hal@wwa.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD works with Cy486DLC processors?

Brant M. Katkansky wrote:

> > I installed FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE a couple of weeks ago and since then I
> > have been having programs exiting with signals 10 and 11, making my system
> > too unstable to work as a dedicated e-mail server and as a PPP to Ethernet
> > gateway.
>
> [snip]
>
> I had one given to me not too long ago.  Mine is plagued with various
> sig 10 and 11's, same as yours.
>
> Here's the interesting part - disabling the internal and external cache
> makes the problem worse.

This should be fairly easy to explain: You have bad SIMMs.  While your
program is running, erroneous results are returned from RAM and the
processor tries to execute them.  Your program subsequently seg faults
due to an invalid instruction.  If your cache works properly and your
SIMMs don't, the cache can mitigate these effects since RAM accesses are
less frequent (thus missing the odd inverted bit somewhere :) ).  Disable
the caches and now you will be much more likely to see a bad SIMM in action.

Alex