Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 2009 23:16:10 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "Edward Sanford Sutton, III" <mirror176@cox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fsck and dump freeze freebsd. any ideas?

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 14:07:13 -0700, "Edward Sanford Sutton, III" <mirror176@cox.net> wrote:
>   As a final question, is there any safe way to crash freebsd (or pull system
> power) without a risk of filesystem corruption?

An "easy" way is to go into single user mode and umount all the
partitions, then press Reset or Power off. Most cases of file system
corruption on hard reset or power loss are often repaired well by
the fsck program. (I had system crashes due to defective USB sticks
and never had file system corruption after a successful fsck run.
Note that I did fsck in the foreground.)

If you cannot umount disks, run "sync" three or four times and wait
a little while. This is not "as good" as umounting disks, and quite
useless if the system is active (in terms of file I/O).

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0