Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 2003 12:08:25 -0500
From:      "Paul A. Howes" <freebsd-current@fair-ware.com>
To:        <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "'Paulius Bulotas'" <paulius@kaktusas.org>
Subject:   RE: buildworld dies with Signal 4

Paulius,

I had the exact same problem less than a week ago.  The solution was the
edit my kernel build configuration file and add the following two lines:

	options   DISABLE_PSE
	options   DISABLE_PG_G

This changes the VM subsystem so that it uses 4 kB pages instead of the
default 4 MB pages.  There is a bug in some hardware that only shows up
under heavy CPU & memory loading, such as a buildworld incurs.

Someone had told me that there is a 10% - 15% performance penalty from
doing this, but I don't run the system hard enough to be able to notice.

--
Paul A. Howes