Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 1999 00:41:41 +0200
From:      Stefan `Sec` Zehl <sec@42.org>
To:        lord henry <zeno@interport.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: further question on the sony viao

On Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 05:27:31PM -0400, lord henry wrote:
> Stefan `Sec` Zehl (sec@42.org) previously noted that "The Soundcard is
> supported by the sb0 driver" on the 505; however, all i've gotten thus far
> from the VOXWARE drivers (snd0) is the following:
>
> sb_reset_dsp failed
> sb0 not found at 0xdc
> sb_reset_dsp failed
> sbxvi0 not found
> sbmidi0 not found at 0x330
> opl0 at 0x388 on isa
> snd0: <Yamaha OPL3 FM>
>
> which would seem to indicate the sb0 driver is NOT my best bet...

my /var/run/dmesg.boot says:

| sb0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
| Hmm... Could this be an ESS688 based card (rev 11)
|
| NOTE! SB Pro support required with your soundcard!
| snd0: <SoundBlaster Pro 3.1>

The corresponding lines from /sys/i386/conf/VAIO are:

| controller snd0
| device sb0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1

(sbvxvi0 and sbmidi0 are commented out)

And it works for me.

> then, there's USB.

I don't have any USB devices to test this with, so i can't say anything
here.

> if anyone else is toying w/ one of these, i'd also like to point out that
> the PSM_HOOKAPM and PSM_RESETAFTERSUSPEND options are a GOOD idea if you
> plan on using the touchpad after suspending ;)

Hm. I don't seem to need any of those, but i've only suspended the
laptop via FN+F12 yet.

> pcmcia support seems a tad flaky, though i suspect this might have
> something to do w/ my choice of versions (3.3 seems to have issues in this
> realm -- though it's all ok as long as i don't attempt a hot-swap).

I had a few problems with my pcmcia card at the beginning (pcmcia
freezing completely), but can't reproduce them now. The only thing i
sometimes get, is that an insertion event is lost. But then I remove the
card again, (which gets an insertion event of card "") wait a few secs
and insert it, then it usually works.

I'm currently running
FreeBSD vaio 3.2-STABLE FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE #5: Fri Aug  6 01:44:20 CEST 1999 root@vaio:/usr/src/sys/compile/VAIO  i386

CU,
    Sec
--
      If a trainstation is where a train stops, what is a workstation?