Date:      Sun, 2 Dec 2001 23:20:32 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Feeding the Troll (Was: freebsd as a desktop ?)

Mike writes:

> Because I don't see the point in paying for software
> I'm not going to use.

I don't see the point in paying more than you have to for a system just because
you resent Microsoft.

> This strange state of affairs is the result of
> MS's illegal and unethical licensing practice.

Why do you say that?

> True. MS outmaneuvered IBM a second time on that
> one.

MS outmaneuvers a lot of companies a lot of the time.  That's how a company gets
to be number one.  No cheating required.

> But we were discussing why Apple didn't go
> anywhere, and the Mac didn't run MS-DOS
> programs.

If Apple had been managed like Microsoft, Steve would have found a way to make
MS-DOS programs run on the Mac.  But Apple was managed in a very different, far
less rational way, and providing MS-DOS support on the Mac would have "tainted"
the Mac's sacred purity, angering the highly emotional user base that tends to
prefer the Mac.  Mac users are kind of like you in their resentment for
Microsoft, it seems, and would rather lose big themselves in order to inflict
some imaginary injury on MS.  They pay too much for their computers, too.

> Ok, they might have been a large company turning
> out mediocre software, instead of being a mammoth
> company turning out mediocre software.

Very few companies do _not_ turn out mediocre software.  Can you think of any?
Especially any with more than 25 employees?

> Then why were they using it?

Because prior to Windows 95, there was nothing else.

> For those people standing in line, it was
> clearly good enough - otherwise they would
> have dropped it before 95 came out.

Not so.  They may have had no choice.  Some applications ran only on Windows,
even back then.