Date:      Sun, 2 Aug 1998 15:47:07 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        jack@germanium.xtalwind.net (jack)
Cc:        benedikt@devnull.ruhr.de, bromage@queens.unimelb.edu.au, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CD writers as a backup medium

> On 1 Aug 1998, Benedikt Stockebrand wrote:
>
> > Andrew Bromage <bromage@queens.unimelb.edu.au> writes:
> >
> > > Just wondered if anyone had thoughts on using a CD writer with
> > > FreeBSD-stable as a backup medium.
> >
> > Writing a CD-ROM on a machine that is doing other things as well is
> > bound to cause trouble.  Your backups will be plain unreliable.
>
> My experience indicates that your statements are wrong.  I piped
> the output of mkisofs to cdrecord in one xterm while doing level
> 0 dumps of about 4 gigs of files in another.  Halfway through
> burning the CD /etc/daily started and called /etc/security with
> its `find'.  The CD that was produced has been used to install,
> or upgrade to, 2.2.7 on three different machines so far.
>
> I have two 4gig and a 1gig hard drive, the tape drive, the CD
> burner, and a CD reader on a single Adaptec 2940UW.

As I said in another message I also have no problem writing
CDs while using the machine for other things.

However, I create the image first but then I burn it with 4x speed
while doing a buildworld, running netscape, rc5 and the usual
X and shell stuff.

All that on a CDR100 with only 256k buffer but of course with
rtprio on the cdrecord process.

Never god a bad CD and never got a buffer underrun.

	-Andre