Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 11:44:01 +0200 (EET)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
Cc:        Brian Handy <handy@isass0.solar.isas.ac.jp>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hardware in space?

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Olaf Hoyer wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Well, the question is:
> Which parts _do_ need cooling?

All that generate more heat than can be radiated away?

> Most parts of a notebook are designed to run quite cool, also due to lower
> power consumption.

Yes - but there is air present that takes heat away. In space there isn't.

> Also a Flash disk also runs quite cool, no need for extra cooling.
> The only source of heat I can imagine would be the CPU.
> (At least of the computer used therefore)
>
> So using some low-power version like a 486 or an IDT C6/Winchip will help
> decreasing emitted heat.
>
> I ran a Winchip C6 (old one) at 50x2 = 100 MHz in a desktop system without
> even a heatsink (yes, bare CPU, no heatsink or fan) for some weeks under
> load, no probs.
> The Winchip only consumes half of the power than a similar (MHz) Intel
> Pentium MMX or AMD K6.
> (At 200 MHz, the IDT eats 10 Watts, Intel/AMD ~20 Watts)

10 watts is still a lot.

> In my experience, if the system is intended to run only for some minutes,
> the CPU even at full pace hasn't enough time to overheat.
> Even if you need cooling, there's another idea.

But if it is absolutely neccessary that it worked and made no errors, this
no longer holds.

> Basically, you need to transport the heat=energy away from the chip.
> On earth, you may take air as transport and dissolver.
> But why no liquid cooling?

Crazy! Liquid weights a lot - and besides, how do you cool the liquid?