Date:      Thu, 07 Feb 2036 07:45:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Tom <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Jim Bryant <jbryant@unix.tfs.net>, FreeBSD Hacker <freebsd@acroal.com>
Subject:   Re: Informix on FreeBSD (maybe) (fwd)

On 06-Jan-98 Tom wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, FreeBSD Hacker wrote:
>
>> Ok guys, first I'll say I've spent the last week trying to get
>> PostGreSQL
>> to work with windows, unsuccessfully.  Second, I think that the bottom
>> line is that FreeBSD needs to have its own integrated database system
>> based on noone elses technology.  This will be a winner, because we all
>
>   Bizzare reasoning.  Basically what you are saying, since you couldn't
> get PostgreSQL working (and all source is provided), you want to instead
> start coding a new RDMS system from scratch?  I think that if you can't
> figure out PostgreSQL, you won't be figure out how to make a brandnew
> database.

Bizzare indeed.  I'l agree that a DBMS engine written specifically for NT
may not be a good choice on a Unix platfrom, and further will agree that
writing one that will run on both will be (to use M$ executive's words)
``compile link and limp', but the fact that PostgreSQL does not compile on
Windows is a testament to its coding quality.  But this is orthogonal to
this whole thread.  Or is my new baby keping me awake for too long?

Sincerely Yours,

Simon Shapiro
Shimon@Simon-Shapiro.ORG                      Voice:   503.799.2313