Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 2000 11:42:56 -0500
From:      Ted Sikora <tsikora@home.com>
To:        "freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Is FreeBSD dead ?

David Greenman wrote:

> >>I fail to see how you can read anything bad into this announcement.  If
> >>you're really concerned, you have just as much right to the code as any
> >>one else, feel free to take the 4.0 code base and create your own system.
> >>BSDidier has a nice ring to it.
> >>
> >>Personally, I've been running FreeBSD since 1.0, and I'll be sticking
> >>with it for quite some time to come.
> >
> >Ever read Animal Farm? Remember that BSD/OS started out as "cheap with
> >source" and grew into "just another OS company". Good ideas can turn bad
> >very quickly.
>
>    The is all just FUD. From the FreeBSD side of things, BSDI is going to
> opensource a bunch of their software that we can then integrate into FreeBSD.
> We're still very much in control of the FreeBSD development effort and what
> fundamentally comprises FreeBSD. In fact nothing really changes as far as
> the FreeBSD Project is concerned - it's the same core team, the same
> developers, and the same BSD-license source code. It's just as "free" as ever,
> and nothing is going to change that. BSDI may decide not to make all of their
> BSD/OS open-sourced, but that's their decision and that will in no way
> deminish what we have in FreeBSD today.
>    As others have said, this is a win for everyone and will result in FreeBSD
> being a much better open-source OS in the future. I really hope that people
> will go and read the various press releases and look at this in an objective
> and rational frame of mind. If you do, then there is only one conclusion that
> you can get from the facts: This is a great thing for FreeBSD and our future
> couldn't be brighter.

I am sure of the FreeBSD Projects intentions but like the previous post
things can 'turn ugly fast with the greatest intentions' The fact a
for-profit company controlling it's movements is cause for concern.
(mozilla comes to mind) I use BSDI and love their products but what
happens when it continues to stagnate. I see this as a way to boost
their own flagship product only? at FreeBSD's expense. I may be wrong
but already I see my other favorite OS Slackware teetering on the edge
of obscurity. I wish them the best.

Regards,
--
Ted Sikora