Date:      Sun, 28 Feb 1999 23:29:54 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@solaria.sol.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Any known NFS problems in 3.1R?

I've got a pet project which involves Diablo (news transit) and NFS.

Hi Matt.

DSRS is a search engine that NFS mounts a Diablo spool and proceeds to
build databases of various interesting information.  I recently did an
upgrade to 3.1R on the host running DSRS, and all was well for about a
day.  Now, twice, I've found the machine stuck in a twilight state.  Any
running processes continue to run (such as my watchdog-card daemon, top
on a vty, etc) but the instant any disk access is attempted, the process
joins the rest of the system in a grand hang.  At least, this is what it
appears to be.

"top" reports that the processes are stuck in "inode".  Other processes
such as "snmpd" which are not apparently stuck in inode may be gunned
down (thanks to the kill in "top"), but a kill -TERM 1 has no effect even
after several minutes.

The NFS server is a slightly-pre-3.0R machine, and will probably get
itself upgraded tonight.  What information should I be looking for to
help me figure out what is happening?

... Joe