Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 1996 14:39:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Brann <jbrann@panix.com>
To:        valtech@caribnet.net (Sean Batson)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org (freeq)
Subject:   Re: Shutdown MSGS

Sean Batson wrote...
> what is the meaning of those numbers you see when
> shutting down FreeBSD.
>
> Sean.

I imagine you mean the descending sequence which is about the last thing
you see before the reboot.  (Sorry, I can't remember what it says, this
OS is so stable I hardly ever have to do it :-).  What's happening is that
the disk write cache (disk blocks which have been changed, but are held in
memory for performance reasons) is being written onto the hard disk, before
marking the disk as clean.  The numbers are the blocks remaining to be
written.

John

--
Beavis and Butt-Head;  Vladimir and Estragon for the '90s.

finger jbrann@panix.com for pgp public key