Date:      Sun, 29 Sep 2002 14:09:31 -0700
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        Matthew Metnetsky (by way of MET <met@uberstats.com>) <met@uberstats.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: On the Go with FreeBSD and KDE

--==_Exmh_1161026854P

> 1)  Is there some sort of 'standby' mode like Windows has so that the
>  computer doesn't take as much power, and also is ON.  I have at most 1=
0
>  minutes between classes and really don't want to turn off the laptop j=
ust to
>  boot it up again 10 minutes later.  And then repeat this 4 times a day=
=2E  Any
>  Ideas?

For -STABLE,

man apm

You need to distinguish between 'standby' 'suspend' and 'hibernate'. I =

don't find 'standby' too useful, personally, but 'suspend' =

(suspend-to-RAM) is great for me, as the resume time is less than a =

second.

Hibernate (generally 'suspend-to-DISK', then power off) doesn't work as =

well (at least for me), and some hardware has issues when coming back.

Make sure that the 'apm' device is compiled into the kernel, and ensure =

that

	apm_enable=3D"YES"
	apmd_enable=3D"YES"

is in /etc/rc.conf

My laptops all suspend on lid closure or hitting the "soft" power =

button. Couldn't live without it - and it's a major pain if it breaks =

for some reason. They're not exactly ON, but they come back to exactly =

where they were.

> 2)  My laptop runs KDE.  Whenver I close the top while its running, and=
 then
> reopen it, it goes on the fritz (i guess would be the best way to say i=
t).
> Basically, the middle visual gets cut in half and goes to the top and b=
ottom
> and the middle is just a solid weird color, and the mouse has no 'real'=

> action on anything.  Is there anything I can do to stop this?

This could be something simple like the BIOS is generating a suspend =

event on lid closure, but the resume isn't being dealt with (e.g. no =

'apmd').

However, there are also graphics cards and FreeBSD/XFree86 versions for =

which the resume may be problematic.

If you're running -CURRENT, you'll need to look into ACPI, which may =

have issues on your hardware. Laptops can be strange beasts.

You'll also need to post some information about your hardware and what =

version of FreeBSD you're running.

HTH.

Cheers,

AS