Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 1998 22:02:48 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Omar Eljumaily <omar@omnicode.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Java licensing issues

>         My question is about the Sun's license of
> the binaries and its restrictions on distribution.
> Suppose you're an integrator and you want to sell
> a FreeBSD box with Java 1.1.5 loaded on it.  Is
> that breaking the license?

As *I* understand the license, yes.  If you want to distribute the JDK
with your product you cannot bundle it with your product unless you pay
Sun the mega-$$ for that right.

*HOWEVER*, you are allowed to bundle the JRE with your product (which is
the JDK w/out the compiler), and if we get things going we should have a
JRE available as well as a JDK.

Nate