Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 1999 11:10:49 -0400
From:      Keith Stevenson <k.stevenson@louisville.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Inetd and wrapping.

On Fri, Jun 25, 1999 at 04:05:05PM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jun 1999 09:31:26 -0400, Keith Stevenson wrote:
>
> > What is possible now that wasn't possible with tcpd from the ports
> > collection?  Why incorporate libwrap (and make our inetd functionally
> > different from everyone else's) instead of bringing tcpd into the base
> > system?
>
> If we _don't_ use tcpd, we save an exec on every call to every wrapped
> service.

Ok, I can see that as a win, especially for very busy servers.  (I'm thinking
ISPs here.)

> I know we're all worried about creeping featurisms, but think about
> what we'll end up with here. We'll end up with an inetd that does _not_
> wrap by default (discussed with jkh in private mail). So people wanting
> to carry on using tcpd stubbornly will be more than welcome to do so.
>
> We'll also end up with an inetd that _can_ wrap if it's told to (-w
> and -ww). So we end up offering a better super-server than we had
> before, with no backward compatibility problems, and no additional
> incompatibilities with other systems (I can't find an inetd that uses
> the -w flag for anything).

Good.  I was worried that we would have to add a flag to turn wrapping off.
This makes the change much more palatable.

> The additional option in inetd.conf is not something I want. However,
> it's something someone has made a legitimate public argument for, to
> which I can't come up with a decent rebuttal.

As long as this new option can safely be omitted by those of us who prefer a
more "traditional" approach, I can't argue about it too much either.  The
purist in me doesn't like it, but I can't come up with a rebuttal either.

> Ciaol,
> Sheldon (who is quickly learning that you can't please 'em all at all)

Only a fool\h\h\h\h optimist tries to... :)

Regards,
--Keith Stevenson--

--
Keith Stevenson
System Programmer - Data Center Services - University of Louisville