Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2000 01:17:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-qa@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: feedback on CD install of 4.0-RC2

[ cc's trimmed, just keeping this on -qa ]

On 17-Feb-00 John Reynolds~ wrote:

> [ On Thursday, February 17, John Baldwin wrote: ]
>>
>> > [printing ATA message about "waiting"]
>> >
>> Soren's been bugged about this, bug him some more. :)  <sos@FreeBSD.org>
>>

> BUG BUG BUG :)

Send it to his e-mail address. :)

>> Hmm, it used to say something to that effect a while back.
>
> can't comment. I haven't done a CD install in a looong time.

I think it has to do with the novice install.

> OK. That's what happened! I added a new user ("me") before I did the desktop
> configuration. So, you're saying that it adds a "dot.xinitrc" file in
> /usr/shar/skel which would be copied to all created accounts?

Yes, exactly.

> Perhaps something could be added to sysinstall so that the "dot.*" files
> aren't copied to user accounts until a) after a desktop configuration, or b)
> sysinstall exits. Or, perhaps safer, if you do a desktop configuration recopy
> all the dot.* files to all user accounts that were created during that
> sysinstall session. Seems that would fix the problem ...

No.  Think of it this way, if you run sysinstall to reinstall a machine, or
if you upgrade a machine, or use it to do configuration later on, you don't
want to spam all users' dotfiles in their home directores with the updated ones
in /usr/share/skel.  Basically, newbies should use Novice, and as long as Novice
does Desktop before adding new users, that is sufficient.  If you use custom,
then you have to know these things. :)  The main menu of sysinstall warns you
that Custom is for experts only.  I know that in Windows I use custom all the
time when installing software, but that warning was enough to make me use Novice
back when I installed 2.1.6 the first time, and I think it should be sufficient
for other newbies as well.

>> Then submit patches to the /usr/share/skel files in a PR.  I'm not sure where they
>> are in the src tree, maybe src/share/skel.
>
> Indeed. However, as we were talking about this morning in -qa, is a better
> spot for these variables /etc/csh.cshrc and /etc/profile?

Mmmm..  I'm not sure.