Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 11:08:00 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Cejka Rudolf <xcejka00@dcse.fee.vutbr.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxp0: Hard bug???

>_BUT_ after adding two lines:
>
>        CSR_WRITE_4(sc, FXP_CSR_PORT, FXP_PORT_SOFTWARE_RESET);
>        DELAY(10);
>
>in fxp_init() function, kernel boots well!

   I just noticed that you are using the 'SOFTWARE_RESET' instead of the
'SELECTIVE_RESET'. This is generally not recommended as it does a complete
reset of the chip and requires complete reprogramming. In addition, it
can also cause your PCI bus to hang if done when the card isn't completely
idle. So are you saying that your card won't work propeyly without doing
the SOFTWARE_RESET? What happens when you use the SELECTIVE_RESET instead?
It sounds like your MSDOS driver is doing something very funky with the
card...one can only imagine.

-DG

David Greenman