Date:      06 Apr 1998 03:21:06 +0200
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        Niklas Saers <berenmls@saers.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MSDOSFS

"Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au> writes:
> > > unavaible as the floppy. Why does the entire filesystem go down with one
> > > minor problem such as the floppy? And how can I avoid this. (except from
> > > using bad floppies, that is :) )
> > Don't mount floppies, use mtools instead.
> Hmm.. I don't think thats really an nice solution..
> The whole point of the FS is that it abstracts file access so that you don't
> need different programs to access different types of drive. (ie I don't need
> tar which works with MFS, FFS, and NFS, because the FS abstracts access to
> files..)
> Perhaps MSDOSFS needs the 'soft' option a la NFS =)

There are just too many gotchas with PC floppy drives to make them
safe to mount, IMHO. They're cheap lowest-common-denominator¹
hardware. You have no assurance that the user doesn't actually switch
floppies between mount and umount, because you have no way to lock the
media and disk change sense doesn't work reliably. Floppy operations
should be done atomically, as mtools does, rather than on a session
basis as mount does. Besides, its capacity and speed are so low and
its use is so restricted that having to mount and umount it all the
time is a pain in the butt. Hopefully the LS120 brings a solution to
this; LS120 drives elctromechanical (rather than plain mechanical)
media ejection and allow media locking, and their capacity is such
that it actually makes sense to mount a disk for a certain period of
time.

¹ Yeah, I know it's supposed to be greatest common denominator...
--
fprintf(stderr, "I have a closed mind. It helps keeping the rain out.\n");