Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 1997 22:39:02 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Jonathan Mini <mini@d198-232.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, dg@root.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Odd out-of-swap condition; ideas?

> Are those Linux processes using any system V shared memory? If so, it would
> account for the link if processes were loosing their keys and then creating
> new shared regions. It would also explain why the memory usage doesn't show up
> under ps. (I have had this problem before with Linux binaries)

No.  Also the total amount of shared memory is limited by the kernel
configuration (the default is quite small), and AFAIK it lives in the
kernel map.

Note that Marc is seeing the same problem with a *BSD* binary.

This problem is 100% reproducible; if anyone is interested in looking
at the system while it's running I can arrange same with a day or so's
notice.

mike