Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 22:15:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gdb 4.17

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, David O'Brien wrote:

> > > A contribifed EGCS is ready to go.  See the March mail archives for the
> >
> > Last I looked, you had that area kind of full of test releases,
> > magnifying the size several times over.  Have you cut it down yet ...
> > I'm asking about how many megs is it now, it was well over 100 I think
> > before, right?
>
> Not really full of test releases, just versions 1.1.1, 1.1.2-prerelease2,
> 1.1.2-prerelease3, and 1.1.2 on vendor branches.  The diffs between them
> aren't really that large at all.  Many files are the same in 1.1.1 and
> 1.1.2.
>
> But EGCS does encompass GCC/libg++(the parts that survived the
> standardization)/STL/G77(fortran)/test suites so it is much larger than
> src/contrib/gcc/.  The test suites do take a large chunk of space.  I
> don't know if we should commit the test suites to our tree, or not.
> Regression tests are good to have, but the space.....  Also, I still have
> the G77 bits in my EGCS repository until it is decided if FORTRAN lives
> in the base tree, or as a port.  I don't care either way about the G77
> issue, and will do as others tell me about it.

Well, would you mind doing a du on the cvs contrib part, and on a
checked out copy, so I can see if it'll fit?

I can see now that I'm going to have to learn vinum, and line up a
couple of 4G disks.  My old 2G ones just don't give the lfexibility they
did a little while ago.  Good thing all that vinum work is going on.

Thanks, David.  We're all holding our collective breath on this one.

> --
> -- David    (obrien@NUXI.com  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).