Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 2002 13:05:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Josh Tolbert <hemi@scoundrelz.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PC164 SRM firmware problem

Josh Tolbert writes:
 > Hi Bernd,
 > 	I haven't successfully made a serial connection to the Alpha. I'm
 > going to continue working with the Alpha tonight, and now I have the
 > settings that Wilko provided, but I'm not familiar with serial consoles at
 > all. I guess I'm going to use Kermit, but I'm not sure if I need to make
 > Kermit "listen" or "connect" or other things of the sort.

The most complicated thing is that you need a null-modem cable.

You want to 'connect' Kermit defaults to the correct settings
(9600,8n1).  These are the same default settings that a getty on a
serial console of a FreeBSD box will use.  So if you want to test your
cabling and kermit setup, start a getty on a FreeBSD box's serial line
and try the cable there:

# grep ttyd0 /etc/ttys
ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   on secure

# kill -1 1

Drew