Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 1998 12:32:13 +0200
From:      Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bandwidth throttling etc.

Luigi Rizzo writes:

> 	$fwcmd add pipe 4 tcp from any to ${ip} 80
> 	$fwcmd add pipe 5 tcp from ${ip} 80 to any
>
> 	$fwcmd pipe 4 configure bandwidth 64k buffers 10 delay 400ms
> 	$fwcmd pipe 5 configure bandwidth 128k buffers 10 delay 200ms

	The "pipe" notion is very interesting.  It's very much like
	a flow -- that would make FW rule writing much easier.

> i.e. the "pipe X" option acts much like a divert, only difference
> is that packets are passed to the specified "pipe" which is
> configurable in bandwidth, buffers and delay.

	Yes!  I like this very much.  We would then be able to have
	"flows" from one point to another, and to control their
	max. throughput -- what about "garanteed" or minimum bandwidth ?

	For example, I use V/IP (voice over IP cards) running on UDP, and the
	software relies on the intermediate routers supporting RSVP in
	case the traffic gets heavy.  A workaround was to hardwire
	the port numbers and "reserve" them in the 3Com routers -- but
	this is static approach...

--
 -[ Philippe Regnauld / sysadmin / regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk / +55.4N +11.3E ]-
     «Pluto placed his bad dog at the entrance of Hades to keep the dead