Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 21:16:24 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Mike Crawfurd <mike.crawfurd@cmg.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMD PCNet family PCI

> I've got a problem (which I posted before) with the AMD PCNet family
> network adapter. I've got a compaq deskpro 575 with and AMD PCNET Family
> Ethernet Adapter (PCI&ISA). I've installed FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE now,
> but still the same errors waste my oh-so-beautiful console.

It's not "PCI & ISA".  It's PCI only.

> I'm trying to configure the network card (AMD PCNET), but got the
> following problem... The network adapter is according to specifications
> a lnc adapter
> (FreeBSD agrees with me :-) I think)

Yes, it should be supported, but there are problems with this driver
and newer PCNet devices.

> When configuring the kernel two things occur:
> The network adapter is found twice (always nice)
>    -- With the PCI detection (a paste follows)
> Jun 3 09:51:59 asig /kernel: lnc1 <PCNet/PCI Ethernet adapter> rev 22
> int a irq 11 on pci0:11
> Jun 3 09:51:59 asig /kernel: lnc1: NE2100 (C-LANCE) address
> 00:80:5f:8a:28:ba
>
> Really nice huh :-)
>
> But again the card is detected by ISA (happy happy joy joy)

You should disable the ISA version of the device.  The two will
conflict.

> I've configured the lnc0 (the ISA version) with ifconfig, but got a
> beautiful "Initialisation failed" error-code back. After rebooting and
> changing the /etc/rc.conf, I've tried to configure the PCI version but
> again the same error-code is scrolling over my
> almost-never-containing-any-error-console...

This is a known problem with the driver.  It needs someone to sit down
with one of these devices and the hardware documentation and fix it.
The LANCE family is large, and relatively complex, but well-documented.

This would be an excellent first-time hardware hacker project.  If
anyone would like to attempt this, I can provide documentation and one
or more sample cards.  I have asked the original maintainer of the
driver (Paul Richards) about this, but received no response.  8(

> Can someone tell me what I've done wrong ?
> I think the card is BOTH ISA and PCI, this seems to bother FreeBSD alot
> (and by bothering FreeBSD it's bothering me even more).

No; PCI and ISA share the same address space on the PC.  It's the same
device, you're just looking for it in two different ways.