Date:      Sun, 5 Sep 1999 23:08:45 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Andrew Boothman <andrew@ukug.uk.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Subject:   Re: Help

On Sat, Sep 04, 1999 at 06:00:10PM +0100, Andrew Boothman wrote:
> On 04-Sep-99 Nik Clayton wrote:
> > There was an announcement on Freshmeat (http://www.freshmeat.net/) a
> > few weeks back about a small app that would take a tree of CVS files
> > and build a GNU style ChangeLog file from the CVS log messages.  A
> > search for "CVS ChangeLog" on Freshmeat should find it.
>
> I've looked into this and the relevent page is
> http://www.red-bean.com/~kfogel/cvs2cl.shtml
>
> Two problems :
>
> 1) When I run it I get :
>
> ./cvs2cl.pl: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `<plaintext>'
> ./cvs2cl.pl: line 1: `<plaintext>'

You downloaded it from his web site.  Somehow he's screwed up, and included
an HTML tag at the top.  Remove the first <plaintext> and any blank lines
before the #! line.

> 2) I know very little about CVS and I'm not sure how to use it. Is it possible
> to get the logs needed without storing the CVS repository on my own machine?

Probably not, unfortunately.  You've prompted me to dig this out though
and look at the output.

    http://www.freebsd.org/~nik/ChangeLog

is the log generated by

    % cd ~/FreeBSD-CVS/www/en
    % ~/cvs2cl.pl -r

Comments appreciated.  Off the top of my head I think we need options for
HTML output (or, more generally, a ChangeLog -> HTML converter), and an
option that produces ChangeLog.Year files (ChangeLog.1998, ChangeLog.1999,
and so on) instead of one big log file -- although that should be possible
to fake up with a little bit of shell programming.

That ChangeLog is about 200K in size. . .

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>