Date:      Thu, 8 May 1997 08:54:11 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Alec Kloss <alec@d2si.com>
To:        bgy2452@lists.dcro.dla.mil (Michael P. Deslippe)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Iomega JAZ Drive

Michael P. Deslippe is responsible for:
> From owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG Thu May  8 00:59:00 1997
> Date: Thu, 08 May 1997 01:39:07 -0400
> From: "Michael P. Deslippe" <bgy2452@lists.dcro.dla.mil>
> To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Iomega JAZ Drive
> Sender: owner-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

> If I copy v2.2.1 to a JAZ drive (from the CD-ROM), should I be able to
> floppy boot and then install from the JAZ drive, or will I need some
> other tools/software to make this happen (my SCSI CD-ROM went on the
> fritz).
>
> ---Mike

I've never seen any FreeBSD cd's so I don't really know what they
look like but I'd guess that they have "long" filenames--things that
don't fit inside DOS's 8.3 convention.  This will make copying the CD
onto the Jaz drive tricky.  If the files on the CD are all 8.3
filenames, then you should be able to proceed with a "filesystem
install" with no trouble.  If not, you may have to reformat the Jaz
drive with a big UFS partition and copy the stuff from there.  You
might even be able to do this by booting the boot floppy on the
machine with the CD-rom drive in something like the following manner:
	NOTE: many of these commands can clobber whole
	disks in a serious and unreparible way.  Make sure
	you know what you are doing and have backups.
	Also, as you go through this, you may need to
	create device files in /dev with MAKEDEV.  See the
	handbook.
	1) Boot the boot disk, go to the fixit menu, get
	   a shell prompt.
	2) edit /etc/disktab to add as disktab entry for
	   the jaz drive.  I lifted mine out of the
	   handbook somewhere:
	     jaz1gb|Iomega Jaz 1GB - FreeBSD: \
	           :ty=removable:dt=SCSI:se#512:nt#64:ns#32:nc#1021:rm#5394:\
	           :pa#2090976:oa#0:ba#4096:fa#1024:ta=4.2BSD:\
	           :pc#2090976:oc#0:
	3) use disklabel to write a new label into a slice
	   on the jaz drive.  If your jaz drive is like
	   mine were, the DOS partition is in slice 4 so
	   you'll use a command like:
	   	disklabel -w -r /dev/sd2s4 jaz1gb
	   assuming that the jaz drive showed up as sd2.
	   (NOTE: I'm not 100% sure that this command is
	   right and it can mess up your disks if it is
	   wrong.  Read the man pages)
	4) use disklabel to edit the partition table for
	   the slice you just created and create a big
	   partition.
	   	disklabel -e /dev/sd2s4
	   My partition table looks like:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  a:  2090976        0    4.2BSD        0     0     0   # (Cyl.    0 - 1020*)
  c:  2090976        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 1020*)
	5) Newfs the partition.  In this case, use (I
	   think)
		newfs /dev/sd2s4a
	6) Mount up the CD and the jaz drive with something
	   like:
	   	mkdir /cdrom
	   	mkdir /jaz
	   	mount -t cd9660 /dev/cd0a /cdrom
	   	mount -t ufs /dev/sd2s4a /jaz
	7) Copy the CD your favorite way.  I'd use:
		cd /cdrom
		tar cf - . | (cd /jaz; tar xf -)
	   But there are lots of good (probably better)
	   ways to get this done.
	8) Shutdown the machine, haul your new FreeBSD
	   2.2.1-RELEASE jaz drive over to the new machine
	   and boot it up with the jaz drive and try it
	   out.

Making jaz drives work for the first time under FreeBSD is
a bit tricky, but once they work you can treat them just
like any other SCSI disk.