Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 11:21:45 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Subject:   Re: [re]writable cdrom drive

Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> wrote:

>     Finally, when you pipe mkisofs to cdrecord directly it is possible to
>     fall behind enough that an error may occur.  The CD writer needs a
>     continuous stream.  There are two solution to this if it occurs:  First,
>     write at a slower rate (speed=1 or speed=2 rather then the default 4),
>     or you need to mkisofs to an image file and then cdrecord from the image
>     file.

     Another possibility, if you have the RAM, is to use the team(1)
program (it's in the ports) to buffer the data as it goes to the burner.
You basically put it into the pipeline between mkisofs and cdrecord, and
it buffers up to 5MB in memory (default, adjustable).  Of course, you've
got to have enough RAM to not go into swap during the operation.  It's a
very nice program, and I've been told that, with enough memory
(32-64MB), you can be running X11 and compiling programs while the CD is
burning (this is with a 2X burner, though).

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.