Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 2000 09:44:47 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Didier Derny <didier@omnix.net>
Cc:        Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is FreeBSD dead ?

> the equations are quite simple

Only if you're taking powerful drugs, perhaps.  There are a number of
things which are hardly "simple" here and let's go over them:

> bsd/os  = $$ for bsdi
> freebsd = lack of bsd/os sold by bsdi --> lack of $$ for bsdi

False.  If BSDI thought there was no money in selling support,
consulting and training services for FreeBSD (none of which involve
"selling bits") then there would have been no reason to merge the
companies.  You're thinking one-dimensionally here at best.

> merge + give code to freebsd --> lack of $$ but future investment
> bsdi unhappy to have given code but thinking to the future
> freebsd users happy of the new features

I don't even understand quite what you're trying to say here, but even
assuming that there are lots of new features we could become
"addicted" to (and that's an awfully strange concept) indicates that
you're not actually that familiar with the BSD/OS code base.  There
are SOME features we may be interested in going forward, but only
some.  It's the cooperative work we can do going forward in FreeBSD
that interests me a lot more than BSD/OS's feature set now.  If you
want to do something more concrete than just spread FUD, however, then
perhaps you can tell ME just what these features we're supposed to get
and become addicted to are.  Be specific!  You've already thrown out
enough vague and unsubstantiated crap to completely lose any
credibility you might have once had here, so perhaps it's time for you
to stop doing that.

> bsdi is doing everything to slow down the development of freebsd...

AHA!  And tell me please just how that's supposed to happen?  Again,
some credible specifics would be a good idea right about now.

> freebsd is late behind bsd/os
> some freebsd users have started to pay for bsd/os [too many drivers /
> features are missing in freebsd and bsd/os is the nearest compatible
> system so it's easyier to move from freebsd to bsd/os rather than to
> linux]

And now I know you're off in the weeds somewhere, looking for a pipe.
The actual reality of the situation is likely to be quite the opposite
given that there are hundreds of FreeBSD developers and, at last
count, somewhere around 10 BSD/OS developers.  Since none of these
hundreds of FreeBSD developers can be prevented from doing their work
(and if you think so, again, be SPECIFIC as to how and why) I can't
see how any of this makes any sense.

In short, Didier, I think it's time for you to end this thread since
you're clearly in the grip of a paranoia so deep that it borders on
the clinical at this point.  I don't see any rationality to your
arguments, just a lot of fear and general hand-waving.  I can
understand the fear since these are new and uncertain times, but the
hand-waving we can really do without.  If you want to go run OpenBSD
or NetBSD now, that's your choice and I daresay that there are now
many here who would be quite happy to see you do so.  This kind of
insubstantial and unsubstantiated FUD we can all really do without.

- Jordan