Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 13:57:06 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Minimal configuration for a home modem server/gateway?

Hi-

My wife keeps wanting to drag our "high powered" home PC into Windows land
for her normal daily activities (unimportant things like DayTimer,
calendar, Quicken, word processing, spreadsheets, games, and such :-)). At
any rate, we get my email at home via UUCP from work using the PC in its
FreeBSD personality...it'd be nice for my wife to be able to check her
email without having to reboot the system and I'd like to dial in to work
occasionally without having to leave Windows, so I was thinking it might
be nice to have a low powered gateway system that just acts as a modem
server. Plop samba and an IMAP/POP server on it and off we go.

So, minimum qualifications would include the ability to drive one or maybe
two modems at normal high speed (which I guess, these days, would mean
57.6K or 115.2K) and a cost that fairly closely approximates zero
dollars. It would also need a cheap networking (I've got a combo [TP &
coax] card in my current PC to hook up to or some sort of parallel/serial
networking connection) so my current PC could talk to it.

If I want to do this, my choices are to install NetBSD on an oldish Amiga
or to scrounge an el-cheapo PC to put FreeBSD on. So my question for this
list would be along the lines of what you would consider to be a minimal
hardware configuration (386 or 486; RAM; disk space; whatever) for this
kind of system.

Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org