Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 10:40:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Adrian T. Filipi-Martin" <atf3r@cs.virginia.edu>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Screen Shot

On Sun, 19 Apr 1998, Sue Blake wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 18, 1998 at 03:22:29PM -0400, Adrian T. Filipi-Martin wrote:
> > On Sat, 18 Apr 1998, Malartre wrote:
> >
> > > Hey, I have seen a lot of people who where wanting screen shot.
> > > Why not giving them the screen shot on www.freebsd.org?
> > >
> > > Like a link on the first page to "what freebsd look like"
> > >
> > > Unix seems strange to new user...
> >
> > 	Well, I doubt a single screen shot coulw convey much of anything.
> > There are just too many things that could be on a FreeBSD display. What
> > would it be: X, emacs, the console, quake2, etc.?
>
> OK, what do you suggest? A number of different screen shots? Show variety?

	I only consider screenshots to be useful for application software.
A group of screenshots depicting popular applications running under
FreeBSD would be useful to some extend.  Perhaps, we set the background to
the "powered by FreeBSD" logo.

	Pictures of FreeBSD systems in situ are pretty good however in my
book.  For example the Snarnoff lab picture of a cluster of 16 FreeBSD
boxes displaying an image accross 16 monitors and a description of what
you are looking at tells much more of what FreeBSD is capable of.
Honestly, I expect most technical people to look at the bulleted lists of
features and applicaton vendor logs more than the pictures.  If we are
talking of non-technical people then we need the pictures of FreeBSD with
a slick window manager and StarOffice and Oracle development windows open.
As an example of the flexibility of the unix solutions you can show
FreeBSD running various look-a-like environments like fvwm95.  (Not that I
like this approach or anything.  I actually dislike fvwm95.)

> > 	I suppose one rather impressive image involving FreeBSD is the
> > Toshiba Libretto picture from  the PAO project page.  I just love that the
> > X11 is runnig on FreeBSD o a computer that is not as deep as the SUN mouse
> > next to it.
>
> That wouldn't have meant a thing to me when I started.
> You're almost saying it is better to have no idea than to have the wrong idea.

	Maybe my description wouldn't have meant anything, but the picture
is rather striking.  Take alook: http://www.jp.FreeBSD.org/PAO/  Whne you
see that FreeBSD can fit into any box from shirt pocket sized to clustered
rack mount, you begin to see the scalablility and flexibility that is
available.

	Adrian
--
adrian@virginia.edu        ---->>>>| If I were stranded on a desert island, and
System Administrator         --->>>| I could only have one OS for my computer,