Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 1997 05:50:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@superior.truenorth.org>
To:        ulf@Alameda.net (Ulf Zimmermann)
Cc:        jgrosch@sirius.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Z-Mail & FreeBSD

>their FTP

>>>Well, I just talked to the UNIX product manager and gave him my pitch
>>>for resurrecting the existing inheirited-from-NCD port of Zmail to
>>>FreeBSD.  They're not wildly enthusiastic about adding Yet Another
>>>platform to their list of responsibilities, but they're intrigued by
>>>the idea of doing a purely promotional thing with FreeBSD as a "use at
>>>your own risk" kinda thing.  We'll see where it goes.

[ TRIM ]

>>How much would a copy of Zmail go for ? Would it be helpful if a number of
>>us started sending email to NetManage offering to throw green pieces of
>>paper at them for a copy of Zmail ;-)
>>

>At the moment, I would not throw green pieces at them, they might want
>them. I worked at Z-Code for 7 months and I tried to get a source license,
>so I could make a free version for FreeBSD. This work was kind of
>destroyed, as Z-Code was sold to Netmanage. We are now trying to make the
>same deal with Netmanage.

[ TRIM ]

A free version of Zmail for FreeBSD would be nice but a paid for, supported
version would, IMHO, help FreeBSD more. There are many companys that I
consulted at in Chicago that use Zmail as their corporate standard. Motorola
just loves Zmail. At most of these companys when ever I would bring up the
subject of FreeBSD the management would always ask if Zmail runs on it.

Just my $0.02.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch       | Laugh while you can, monkey boy ! |    FreeBSD 2.1.6
jgrosch@sirius.com |          - John Warfin -          | UNIX for the masses