Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 1996 10:51:38 -0700
From:      Doug Wellington <doug@sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Cc:        doug@sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov
Subject:   Let's hack on the Handbook!  ..my ideas...

Hi folks,

I've been lurking around the net for a lot of years now (Yes, I remember
BEFORE the web started dragging the whole net down!) and I decided that I
found my calling - I want to help the FreeBSD project. :-)  I'm a hacker,
but since I don't know how to hack a Unix kernel or device drivers (YET!),
I decided to not hit the source code because I don't want to drag you guys
down!  ;-)  I think I'm pretty good at doing documentation hacking though,
so I've been looking at the Handbook situation...

I propose a rather thorough reworking of the Handbook.  (EEEEK!)  ;-)
I think it should be divided into three separate handbooks, much like
the 4.4BSD doc set from O'Reilly.  I like the idea of having one handbook
for users (The FreeBSD User's Handbook), one for programmers (The FreeBSD
Programmer's Handbook) and a separate one for system administrators (The
FreeBSD System Administrator's Handbook).  I would possibly divide the
System Administrator's Handbook into two separate parts, the first
being an installation and hardware guide aimed at one time tasks and
a separate "maintenance" guide aimed at tasks that will be repeated.
I also think we should have some smaller, more specific guides, much
like the Linux HOWTOs or the current tutorials, but I'll leave that for
another time...

In the current Handbook, there is a lot of good programming help, so I
figure we should pull that all out and put it into a guide for everyone
that wants to hit the development side.  I think that part of the current
handbook is the best so far, so I want to concentrate my efforts more to
the user and system administrator side.  (Especially since I'm not even
qualified to write about FreeBSD programming!)  I believe that good user
and administrator documentation will dramatically increase FreeBSD's
usefulness and appeal to the very large group of people who don't have
the inclination to write programs or hack the kernel.  (I think a large
part of success of Linux can be attributed to the large amount of
documentation that is aimed toward the casual user, the type that has no
interest in "hacking it themselves".)

If nobody has objections to the idea of splitting the Handbook into three
separate parts, I will start hacking on it.  My first step will be to
outline the actual structure of the three separate books.  I'll broadcast
that outline to the documentation list.  If there are no objections to it,
I'll extract the programmer's info and build the Programmer's Handbook,
then start on the System Administrator's and User's books.  In addition
to changing the overall structure, I plan to write the Email chapter and
add a chapter on netnews...  (Just to get started, I figure I can at
least publish a list of other resources like the various mail FAQs.)

What are everyone's thoughts?

-Doug

Doug Wellington
doug@sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov
System and Network Administrator
US Geological Survey, Tucson, AZ Project Office

According to proposed Federal guidelines, this message is a "non-record".
Hmm, I wonder if _everything_ I say is a "non-record"...?

FreeBSD and Apache - the best real tools for the virtual world!
Check out www.freebsd.org and www.apache.org...