Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 1997 08:47:09 +1000 (EST)
From:      Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        proff@suburbia.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: detecting kernel version at compile time

In some mail from Terry Lambert, sie said:

> > Another benefit is that __FreeBSD_sysversion isn't necessarily
> > __FreeBSD_version i.e users may update their sys tree more frequently
> > than the rest (presuming they even have the rest of the source
> > distribution).
> >
> > Ability to detect the kernel version at compile time is essential to
> > adequately support third party modules.
>
> I agree... why is it that you always come up with good ideas?  8-).

To quote Jordan "this is giving me a headache".

As one of those third party developers, I don't have time for this
constantly changing crap.

You are deceiving yourselves if you think you are just making life
easier for everyone.  Any change implies more work from 3rd party
developers to accomodate that change.

That work is probably many times what you perceive it to be because 3rd
party developers have to incorporate the new with the old and still keep
everything working.