Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2003 18:54:01 +0000
From:      Matthew Ryan <matt@overdose.com>
To:        Jon Reynolds <jonr@destar.net>
Cc:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OS X clients - Samba  Arrrrggg!!

--Apple-Mail-2-900564670

On Monday, March 17, 2003, at 01:10  pm, Jon Reynolds wrote:

> [...]
>> date?
>>
>>> In fact, shortly after the server crashed "No more mbufs?" I
>>> restarted
>>> and it's been fine since.
>>
>> You may want to raise the number of mbufs available on this server.
>>
>>> The problem is this:
>>>
>>> When I try to copy files from the OS X clients (and I have tried 2
>>> to be
>>> sure), I see a
>>>
>>>  "Could not complete the operation because you don't have enough
>>> privileges" error.
>>
>> I tried copy and create with both files and folders with no problems.
>>
>>> Of corse, I am sure that the user I am logged on to the server as has
>>> full read write access to the directory concerned. To be sure I have
>>> logged on as different users. I find this problem in the Home
>>> Directories as well!
>>>
>>> Just to further confuse things - I am able to create a new folder and
>>> delete it again, although I am never permitted to put a file in it.
>>> And
>>> even stranger - when the copy fails it leaves a 0k file at the
>>> destination with name of the file I try to copy.
>>
>> This sounds vaguely familiar.  I can't remember details, but I seem to
>> recall installing a server a one point where files would be created,
>> and
>> when the client actually tried to write to the file, they had no
>> permissions.  The error was somewhere in the permissions and create
>> ownership settings in Samba.  Basically, Samba was being told to
>> create
>> all files as another user, with somewhat strict permissions, but then
>> the permissions were too strict to access the file.
>>
>> Check the unix permissions on the 0 byte file that gets created.  If
>> they
>> would prevent writing to that file, check your file creation options
>> in
>> samba.
>>
>>> All this works perfectly on Win XP, Win 200 or Win 98 clients.
>>
>> Are the Win machines logging in differently than the Macs?
>>
>>> We also run a Win 200AS file server and the OS X clients seem to
>>> have no
>>> problem coping files to shares on that machine.
>>>
>>> Confused? - I am!
>>
>> Yeah, so was I ... assuming that you're having the same problem I was.
>>
>>> Chances are that I'm doing something daft - usually the way but I
>>> can't
>>> see what.
>>
>> Check the perms and the samba options.  I may be wrong, but that's
>> what it
>> sounds like.
>
> I just got over this problem about a month ago. What I believe the
> problem was is that on the samba server in the shared folder I found
> some .(dot) files like FBCFolderLock and .DStore. When I deleted all
> these dot files that the Macs had created I no longer got the
> permissions problem. As always, back up before trying anything.

Well the problem was with the .(dot) files!

I had veto'd all files with a dot before them:

veto files = /.*/

This worked a treat for all the windows clients (who's users tend to
like to see hidden files - but have no need to see all that annoying
Mac stuff or the unix .(dot) files)

However, it seems that the OS X clients need to place a small file in
the directory to which they are copying before they copy the actual
file. Don't know why - ??? Anyhow, the veto makes the small ._(dot
underscore) files unaccessible, so then the copy can't complete and the
user sees a permissions error.  At least I think that's how it works -
or doesn't.

For now I have specifically veto'd all the unix .(dot) files and the
common Mac ones (.DS_Store etc.) but that still leaves me with ._(dot
underscore ) files which the macs create when they copy files to the
server. This is not ideal cos there are hundreds of them so any better
ideas would be apreciated.

Thanks again

Matthew Ryan

Matt@overdose.com

--Apple-Mail-2-900564670

On Monday, March 17, 2003, at 01:10  pm, Jon Reynolds wrote:

<excerpt>On Mon, 2003-03-17 at 04:05, Bill Moran wrote:

<excerpt>Matthew Ryan wrote:

<excerpt>Hi all,

I'm running a Samba server under FreeBSD Release 4.8, so far
everything

has been just spanky but I added a new share yesterday and now I have
an

odd problem with my OS X clients.

Actually I only tried to copy files to the server from an OS X machine

for the first time yesterday so I don't actually know how long the

problem has been around. I do remember having some trouble organising

files on the server from an OS X client a week or so again.

</excerpt>

Well, I just tested here with my IMac vs. FreeBSD/Samba server and I

could not repeat the problem.  I'm using Mac OS 10.2.4, FreeBSD 4.8-RC

(from March 3) and Samba 2.2.4_1 from ports ... looks like it's time

to update that.

Actually, I seem to remember some documented problems with certain

versions of Mac OS and SMB shares.  Is your version of Mac OS up to

date?

<excerpt>In fact, shortly after the server crashed "No more mbufs?" I
restarted

and it's been fine since.

</excerpt>

You may want to raise the number of mbufs available on this server.

<excerpt>The problem is this:

When I try to copy files from the OS X clients (and I have tried 2 to
be

sure), I see a

 "Could not complete the operation because you don't have enough

privileges" error.

</excerpt>

I tried copy and create with both files and folders with no problems.

<excerpt>Of corse, I am sure that the user I am logged on to the
[...]

<excerpt>All this works perfectly on Win XP, Win 200 or Win 98 clients.

</excerpt>

Are the Win machines logging in differently than the Macs?

<excerpt>We also run a Win 200AS file server and the OS X clients seem
to have no

problem coping files to shares on that machine.

Confused? - I am!

</excerpt>

Yeah, so was I ... assuming that you're having the same problem I was.

<excerpt>Chances are that I'm doing something daft - usually the way
but I can't

see what.

</excerpt>

Check the perms and the samba options.  I may be wrong, but that's
what it

sounds like.

</excerpt>

I just got over this problem about a month ago. What I believe the

problem was is that on the samba server in the shared folder I found

some .(dot) files like FBCFolderLock and .DStore. When I deleted all

these dot files that the Macs had created I no longer got the

permissions problem. As always, back up before trying anything.

Jon

</excerpt>Well the problem was with the .(dot) files!