Date:      Sun, 16 Apr 2000 04:16:51 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Shells

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > Two reasons of the top of my head: GPL'd and gratuitously incompatible.
>
> GPL'd things go into /usr/src/gnu - no big deal.  If we were overly
> squeamish about the GPL then we wouldn't have "grep" or a compiler
> toolchain either, among other things, and I doubt anybody's arguing
> for killing those.  The ash shell is just bad enough that I'd consider
> a change of license for a truly functional shell out-of-the-box to
> be a more than acceptable trade-off.

From the perspective of a company using FreeBSD embedded, /bin/sh
is not an otional component so we would want a non GPL version
if we could get it. Luckily it isn't linked with anything like
(say) gdbm but it's yet another GPL pin in the 'minimum system'
I need for an embedded system. The size of BASH is also a consideration
when I'm trying to ge everything into a 2MB flash.
if you do want BASH in the base system, please don't take away ash.

--
      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org