Date:      Thu, 4 Dec 1997 17:35:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        archie@whistle.com (Archie Cobbs)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: libmd.so ?

Archie Cobbs writes:
> I noticed that in 2.2.5, /usr/lib/libmd.a exists but no (a.out) shared
> version of the same exists... how come? The cvs log messages are
> not very informative. I assume this is some kind of optimization...

Ah, now after having looked again I see the relevant comment..

  revision 1.1.1.1
  date: 1994/07/24 03:29:55;  author: phk;  state: Exp;  lines: +0 -0

  Reviewed by:    phk
  Imported libmd.  This library contains MD2, MD4 and MD5.
  These three boggers pop up all over the place all of the time, so I
  decided we needed a library with them.  In general they are used for
  security checks, so if you use them you want to link them static.

<nitpicking>

Isn't it the job of the particular program being compiled to
determine whether security warrants linking this statically?
There are plenty of non-security related reasons to use MD5
(for example, as a checksummer).

Not installing the shared lib at all seems a bit presumptuous,
though understandable from a security conscious point of view.

</nitpicking>

-Archie