Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 1996 10:44:30 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some recent changes to GENERIC

On Tue, 9 Jul 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> After speaking with David on the phone, I decided to remove the
> following entries from GENERIC:
>
> sio2
> sio3
> lpt2
> mcd1
> lnc1
>
> I would also like to remove:
>
> ed1

It will likely cause a lot of trouble to several people - round all the
ne2000s and compatibles are sold preconfigured for - let's say ed1 - all
the parameters fit. It's a kind of positive to see FreeBSD find your card
on the first try - especially when you don't know right away whetever you
are going to have a lot of troubles getting the processor, cache,
motherboard, memory and FreeBSD talking to each other seemlessly. But
there seems also to be quite some people with their ne2000s on settings
for ed0 -

	Couldn't the driver be made check for alternative values? A list
	of alternative values? And not by default but if an option is set.
	Or make the boot blocks on the floppy first boot to the userconfig?

> lp1

Having more than one parallel port configured in isn't IMHO that
important - what would you use it for at the install phase? If you really
happen to have two of them - you can switch the printer and PLIP cable
for the time and later make a custom kernel with as many entries as you
like. Switching the cables is not that hard.

	Sander