Date:      Sat, 29 Mar 2003 11:14:33 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        "MikeM" <zlists@mgm51.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem on 1TB filesystem RAID 5 3ware

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 08:53:55 -0500, in sentex.lists.freebsd.hardware you
wrote:

>Mike Tancsa wrote:
>
>|>Also, the lack of support for the current firmware on the 7000 series=20
>|>cards makes me hesitant to use those cards with FreeBSD.
>|
>|What specifically does not work with that firmware ?
>
>That is not the correct question to ask.   I do not want to have to deal
>with a data corruption issue before I realize that I should not be using
>the 3Ware card under FreeBSD.
>
>The right question to ask is: do all the operational modes of the 3Ware
>card work properly under FreeBSD?   At the moment, it appears that the
>answer is "no".  Specifically, the RAID 5 configuration appears to =
result
>in data corruption with the current firmware.

There have been broken 3ware firmwares in the past that specifically
effected RAID5. A quick test of the same hardware under LINUX or win2k
would confirm if this is another firmware issue or driver specific. =
Another
common issue across all platforms (i.e. firmware issue) was changing the
disk stripe to anything other than the default 64k on RAID0 or 10.  This
too would break things on all operating systems.

	---Mike

Mike Tancsa  (mike@sentex.net)=09
http://www.sentex.net/mike