Date:      Mon, 13 Aug 2018 22:56:51 +0200
From:      Philipp Vlassakakis <freebsd-en@lists.vlassakakis.de>
To:        Daniel Feenberg <feenberg@nber.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS + ZFS - Base System readonly

Hi Daniel,

it=E2=80=99s working, thanks.
Now I still have to make some changes to the configuration files, fixing =
entropy-file per host etc. but so far it looks very good.=20
Do you also use NFS? If so, what is your speed?
Did you tried ZFS already?

Thanks again! :)

Regards,
Philipp

> On 13. Aug 2018, at 14:42, Daniel Feenberg <feenberg@nber.org> wrote:
>=20
>=20
>=20
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2018, Philipp Vlassakakis wrote:
>=20
>> Hi,
>>=20
>> has anyone experience in mounting a base system via PXE + NFS as =
readonly and then mount ZFS datasets r/w on top of the base-system?
>>=20
>> I would like to boot a basesystem (which is stored on a NFS share) =
via PXE and mount ZFS-Datasets on top of that, so i can rollout specific =
configs (hostname, services...) per Host and give user the ability to =
edit config files (apache, mysql...) and store data on the ZFS-disks, =
which will not be wiped due to a Host reboot.
>=20
> We have been doing this for many years, for a score of systems. We =
have a detailed description of our procedures at: