Date:      Thu, 4 Jul 1996 00:33:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Charlie ROOT <root@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Zach Heilig <zach@blizzard.gaffaneys.com>
Cc:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sorting Incoming Mail

On Thu, 4 Jul 1996, Zach Heilig wrote:

> I happen to sort my incoming mail through emacs gnus 5.2.32 (I think
> that's the version)..  Of course the whole thing adds about 4Meg to
> emacs core image, but that's another story.  It sorts mail into
> virtual newsgroups, and reading mail becomes just like reading usenet
> news.  It is very mailing-list friendly, if I do a (r)eply, it would
> only go to the sender, or if I (f)ollowup, it Cc:'s it to the list
> automagically.  Here is a sample entry:
>
> (setq nnmail-split-methods
>       '(("freebsd.questions" "^Sender:.*questions@FreeBSD.*")))
>
> The first is a virtual newsgroup name, the second a regexp applied to
> the headers to figure out if it goes in that group.  There are a few
> other variables to set as well, but the info files explain it pretty
> good.
>
> The wierd thing is when I set it up, it wouldn't work no matter how
> much I fiddled with it, then for some reason I rebooted, and all of a
> sudden, it worked.  Odd, isn't it? (I think it has to do with having
> the sticky-bit set on the emacs executable, and having just upgraded
> from gnus 5.0.4 or something.. it might be modifing the already loaded
> core image).
>
> Zach Heilig (zach@blizzard.gaffaneys.com)

Now that's cool Zach, then you get threads too.  Another reason for
emacs.

What I don't quite get is subscribing to different groups under
different names--e.g., instead of subscribing to doc as andrsn@
andrsn.stanford.edu, I'd subscribe as fdocs@andrsn.stanford.edu,
create a user (without a valid shell or some such, so even if the
user had a password it would never need to be used) named fdocs,
and then use procmail to sort all mail to fdocs into the
appropriate folder/file in /usr/home/andrsn.  Is that how people
do it?

Annelise