Date:      20 Nov 1998 16:19:24 -0600
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
Cc:        Oleg Ogurok <oleg@ogurok.com>, ee123@rocketmail.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Password generator

>>> I'm looking for a password generator.
>>> Does anybody know where I can found one?
>> Well, you can look into a source code of DES, Kerberos, etc.
>> Also, download Apache sources and look into "htpasswd" source.
> Hmmm.. I think he asked about something as routines present e.g. in SCO,
> and used in their standard passwd(1) program - they are able to generate
> passwords which are pronouncable (they even give example pronounciation),
> but don't form any sensible word.
> Well, for now we don't have anything like this.

A common algorithm is to alternate consanant sounds and vowel sounds.
Usually a symbol or digit (or two) are thrown in somewhere.  More
detail is in the literature.

I don't think that npasswd
(http://www.utexas.edu/cc/unix/software/npasswd) has a password
generator, although it's in general a decent password screener.
passwd+ (ftp://ftp.dartmouth.edu/pub/security/) is also frequently
recommended.

I'll also point you at Mangle
(ftp://ftp.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/pub/utilities/pwtest/), which
does more pertubations on passwords than most.

Happy hacking,
joelh

--
Joel Ray Holveck - joelh@gnu.org