Date:      Thu, 8 May 1997 16:54:18 +0100 (BST)
From:      Andy Duller <andy@sees.bangor.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Keyboard problems with XFree 3.2 (FreeBSD 2.2.1) - part II

Since my earlier message produced no replies I assume that the
keyboard problems I am having with 2.2/2.2.1 are not general
problems. In fact I've subsequently got 2.2.1 and XFree 3.2 working
quite happily on two desktop machines. Just to re-iterate the problem
I'm having:

"When I startup X, the window manager (fvwm) and various xterms
appear correctly and the mouse works. However, the keyboard doesn't
do anything. If I disconnect and then reconnect the keyboard it begins to work
- although even then if I press keys such as Caps lock, Scroll local,
Num lock then it stops working again. In addition switching to a
virtual terminal from X (e.g. ctrl-alt-F2) also stops the keyboard
working and the disconnect mechanism has to be used again.

I am using an AJP 7500 notebook computer (486) and a docking station
which then has the keyboard plugged into the docking station."

Initially I had thought it was a problem with XFree 3.2 but I now have
that running with FreeBSD 2.1.7. Also, I tried FreeBSD 2.2.1 with
XFree 3.1.2 and this also exhibited the same problems as with
3.2. Most peculiar !

Any suggestions as to the solution or comments would be gratefully
received. Please could you reply directly as I don't subscribe to the
list.

Thanks,
Andy Duller

- --
 Andy Duller,
 School of Electronic Engineering and Computer Systems,
 University of Wales, Bangor,
 Dean St.,
 Bangor,
 Gwynedd, LL57 1UT
 U.K.
 Tel: +44 1248 382716  Fax: +44 1248 361429
 E-mail: andy@sees.bangor.ac.uk