Date:      4 Dec 2014 21:41:25 -0000
From:      "John Levine" <johnl@iecc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        benfell@parts-unknown.org
Subject:   Re: switching from ports to pkg -- mailman group mismatch

>Second, I now find myself in a situation where some software must be
>installed with pkg and some must be installed from ports. If it's just
>mailman, that's one thing. If it becomes a bunch of packages, I have a
>real mess on my hands.

Yes, we have a mess.  If you need a port compiled with other than the
standard options, you can't use the package, and it's a challenge
to keep pkg from stomping your locally compiled versions.

I lock the locally built packages with pkg lock, and every once in
a while look to see if the port's updated, in which case I unlock it
use portmaster to update it, then lock the new version.

R's,
John