Date:      Fri, 20 Nov 1998 17:39:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@ics.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bulletproof PPP ???

On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, Kaleb S. KEITHLEY wrote:

> I have "call waiting" (is it safe to assume that by now everyone knows
> what "call waiting" is?) on my sole phone line. Once upon a time, if I
> was using PPP and received an incoming phone call, the tone indicating
> that I had a "call waiting" was sufficient to knock down PPP and hang
> up the modem, allowing the incoming call to proceed. (Yes, I know about
> "cancel call waiting". Sometimes I really do want it to drop the line
> when there's an incoming call.)
>
> But in 3.0-RELEASE, PPP seems to be bulletproof. Incoming calls don't
> knock the connection down.
>
> Was there some change in the PPP implementation that makes it better
> able to recover from noise on the line? I'm still using the same modem
> I've had for three or four years now.
>
> Without going and looking at the committer log or having to download the
> 2.x sources to compare -- is there anyone who happens to know the answer
> to this off the top of their head?

Have you made any updates to your ppp.conf file?  I have a dedicated
line for my ppp, but I know my friends (who mostly don't) and have to
deal with the tone, do it by prepending a * (star) code, *70,
into their dial string, which disables call waiting for the duration of
the call.  If you use dial pulse (I suppose there must be SOME place in
America that still uses it) you use 1170 instead of *70.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).