Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 2002 15:31:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Stuart Barkley <stuartb@4gh.net>
To:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ADI 1885 audio support

On Sat, 6 Jul 2002, Randy Bush wrote:

> % mixer
> Mixer vol      is currently set to  80:80
> Mixer pcm      is currently set to  75:75

The "mixer `mixer -s`" command in my previous email is intended to
read the current setting for all channels and then explicitly set
those values back into the mixer.

In pre 4.6 days, I had problems with the mixer scales on some audio
devices and needed to hunt around to find mixer values which worked.
Mostly I found that 50 and 100 both where full scale output while 10
and 60 where both low level output.  Something was scaling the mixer
values incorrectly causing high bit truncation.  You might try setting
both vol and pcm to 100.  I might have also seen a two bit scaling
problem which could make 75 look like zero to the mixer.

You might also try amp or mpg321 in addition to mpg123.  I have seen
some cases where .mp3 files work differently under the various
players.  I think this is mostly sample rate issues where the card is
not capable of handling the sample rate requested and the player
itself needed to resample the output.  It might also be an issue with
some applications should the card not directly support mono.

> Mixer speaker  is currently set to  66:66

Do you hear system beeps from your speakers?  If so, the "vol" and
"speaker" channels are working and just the pcm channel has problems.

> Mixer cd       is currently set to   0:0

Likewise can you play an audio cd and hear it.  You should need to
change the "cd" mixer settings to hear anything.

> > In xmixer, the "X" (on top of a microphone icon) on the bottom
> > center indicates a channel which can be set as a recording input
> > but isn't currently enabled.
>
> it's an X in the center rectangle under vol

This indicates that your sound chip is able to record everything going
out to the speakers.  I've never had need to do such, but it would
enable someone to record the analog output of another program which
attempted to provide a play only mode.  Probably slightly easier than
routing line out back into line in.

Are you using the vchans support (sysctl hw.snd.pcm0.vchans=4)?  I
decided a while back that it was more trouble for me (YMMV) and
haven't used it in a long time.

Check your /dev/sndstat output.

Stuart
--
I've never been lost; I was once bewildered for three days, but never lost!
                                        --  Daniel Boone