Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 1997 13:26:50 +1100 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        Scot Elliott <scot@poptart.org>
Cc:        akl@wup.de, amr@wup.de, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RIP vs. OSPF

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Scot Elliott wrote:

> Thei only thing I'd say about RIP is that it doesn't support subnetting.
> This can be a problem.. for example, I used to use the class-A network
> 10.0.0.0 as out intranet.  But the routers using RIP could only broadcast
> routes to the 10.0.0.0 network - not to any of the subnets - so you end up
> having lots of static routes as a cludge and only one router out of each
> subnet.  Not nice.

Not true.  RIP v1 (Novell 3.1x) supports fixed-length subnets.  That is,
*all* subnets must have the same netmask.  RIP v1 also assumes that all
subnets of a network are contiguous, which is not necessarily so, these days.

RIP v 2 supports variable-length subnet masks and remote subnets, but
still is not as good as OSPF.

I recommend going to OSPF and using default routes on the Novell gateways
and static routes *to* the Novell gateways.  Novell fileserver routing is
pathetic, particularly 3.x.

Danny