Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 1997 23:51:34 -0800
From:      William Maddox <maddox@CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Pentium vs. Pentium Pro

I'm putting together another FreeBSD system and am trying to determine
whether a Pentium Pro is worth the extra expense..  I would appreciate
any pointers to meaningful benchmarks on the relative performance of
the Pentium 133 and Pentium 166 vs. the Pentium Pro 200 and Pentium
Pro 180 under FreeBSD.  The system will be used primarily for program
development, i.e., lots of compiling.

I'd also be interested in any comments, good or bad, on the Intel
Venus and the ASUS P/I-XP6NP5, as well as the vendors Aberdeen and
NetExpress.

Thanks,

William Maddox
maddox@cs.berkeley.edu