Date:      Mon, 1 Sep 2003 13:51:29 +0200
From:      Igor Pokrovsky <igor.pokrovsky@cnrm.meteo.fr>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ugly Huge BSD Monster

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 04:58:43PM +0700, Denis Troshin wrote:
> Almost  every  package  I  install requires a few other packages. This
> 'idea   of   using   dependent  packages'  turns  FreeBSD  (and  other
> unix-systems) to an ugly monster.
What you propose?

> For  example, I don't need Perl or Python but a few packages I install
> require them.
Then don't install those packages :)

> Does exist a programming under unix without these dependencies?
>
> P.S.  Under Windows it is possible to write not bad applications which
> depend  just  on  libraries (KERNEL32, USER32, GDI32).  And these libs
> exist on every base system!!!

> Is it possible in unix?
It is possible to write not bad application which will depend only on libc.so

> Before I thought that unix programs very compact, but they are huge!
Depends what programs do you mean.

P.S. This discussing really belongs to chat ;-)

--
Real World, The n.:
	1. In programming, those institutions at which programming may