Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 1998 11:50:30 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux to be deployed in Mexican schools; Where was FreeBSD?

At 03:29 AM 11/25/98 -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

>> I still think that's so. When you give away freebies, you always want
>> to put your best foot forward! If you hand someone something as a sample
>
>All releases have bugs.  If I waited for a completely bug free FreeBSD
>before sending out a single promotional copy, you'd be whining even
>louder than you do now.

There's a fundamental point is not addressed here. When a security
hole has been discovered and publicized, the risk to users installing
the old version is extremely high. Before that time, it's close to
nil.

Thus, the issue is not whether there are ANY bugs. It's whether there
are known security holes for which scanning programs and scripted
exploits exist. This is what sends the risk into the stratosphere
and makes the disks "unsafe at any speed."

--Brett