Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 1996 12:44:39 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        sef@kithrup.com (Sean Eric Fagan)
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tape drive questions/recommendations

Sean Eric Fagan stands accused of saying:

> My oldish DAT tape drive is dead.  Bugger.

Sadness.  What brand?  How did it die?

> So I've been looking at other tape drives today.  A place called the Disk
> Drive Depot has an Archive drive of some sort, DAT, with a 4 tape
> autochanger.  I don't know the model number yet, 'cause they were closed
> today.
>
> I can also get a Conner or HP DAT drive for <$600, new.  Or I can get an
> ExaByte 2501 for a bit <$500.

Avoid Conner like the plague.  Archive are OK, so are HP, so are Sony, so
are the WangDAT units.  The Exabyte is a pretty OK unit, but the 8mm
mechanicals aren't quite as robust as the DATs.

> So, how about it, folks... anyone know anything about this Archive drive, or
> have preferences for the others?

We're using Sony SDT5xxx units without any grief here; I support several sites
with WangDAT units.  The only problems they've had are that the units are
fairly touchy about clean power, and many external drive boxes are just too
rough on the 12V rail for their liking.